Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark: A Review

 RATING: 

 

Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark is a series of three collections of short horror stories for children that are written by Alvin Schwartz and were originally illustrated by Stephen Gammell. The three books each feature numerous short stories in the horror genre. Author Schwartz drew heavily from folklore and urban legends as the topic of his stories, researching them all extensively and spending over a year writing each of his books. 

 

Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark

There is a story here for everyone – skeletons with torn and tangled flesh who roam the earth; a ghost who takes revenge on her murderer; and a haunted house where every night a bloody head falls down the chimney.

More Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark

Is it possible to die – and not know it? What if a person is buried too soon? What happens to a thief foolish enough to rob a corpse, or to a murderer whose victims returns from the grave? 

 

The stories in these collections have been told over campfires for years. They have been told late at night with torches used to illuminate faces at sleepovers. They are the prefect horror stories for children and teenagers. Growing up, I had heard various stories from the collection, but I never read the books like others. When the movie based on the books came out in 2019, I went to the cinema with my friend to watch it and I loved it. It made me want to read the books so they went straight onto my wishlist. My brother got me the first two books for my Christmas last year and I read them in February. They were a very quick and easy read, obviously due to the fact that it is meant for children and to be told round a campfire late at night. 

 

I enjoyed reading these books and think that they would be even better when being read aloud in the right atmosphere. These will definitely be books that I will read to my future classes during the Halloween period or to future children on camping trip. I loved that the books included instructions for reading the books aloud in order to make the stories scarier for the audience. These books would be perfect for any children who love Halloween and freaky stories and horror films. 

 

Until next time, I’ll continue reading with wanderlust. 

📚🧳✈️🗺

Comments

Popular Posts